We’ve all blown an interview.
It’s happened to the best of us. Maybe your cellphone wasn’t on silent like you thought it was? Perhaps you forgot to bring your resume and wanted to disappear when the interviewer requested to see it. Those are both horribly embarrassing errors but when I saw this list…those two blunders paled in comparison to this list of whoppers.
Here are the Top 10 Unbelievable Interview Mistakes according to a survey done by Career Builder
1. Candidate answered cell phone and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a “private” conversation.
2. Candidate told the interviewer he wouldn’t be able to stay with the job long because he thought he might get an inheritance if his uncle died – and his uncle “wasn’t looking too good.”
3. Candidate asked the interviewer for a ride home after the interview.
4. Candidate smelled his armpits on the way to the interview room.
5. Candidate said she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and it was “classified.”
6. Candidate told the interviewer he was fired for beating up his last boss.
7. When applicant was offered food before the interview he declined, saying that he didn’t want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
8. A candidate for an accounting position said she was a “people person,” not a “numbers person.”
9. Candidate flushed the toilet while talking to the interviewer during a phone interview.
10, Candidate took out a hair brush and brushed her hair mid-interview.
My personal favorite is #6. How about you?